rainy day crafts: lip balm

I got this lovely Make Your Own Lip Balm kit as a gift from my Aunt at christmas time, but have only just got round to giving it a go. The weather is miserable and I don't think it has got fully light in a few days now, and I could not think of a better day for some cosy indoor crafts. You can buy this set by The Homemade Company here.  
The kit comes with all you need to make 4 pearly pink lip balms, including 4 screw top pots to make them in, and gift bags and ribbon, with the idea to keep one for yourself and give the other 3 as gifts, perfect for this time of year as valentines gifts! The ingredients are Cocoa Butter, Beeswax, Mica Powder (for the pearly pink colour), essential oil (orange and lemon), and you need to mix these with oil, I used sunflower, though apparently olive works just as well.
The instructions were nice and easy to follow, and you pretty much just melt all the ingredients together and pour into the little pots to set. The overall process took about 10 minutes, and I was rather pleased with the results!
The pots are the perfect size for individual balms, and come with labels to stick on, and bags and ribbons to decorate with when given away as gifts. 
The balm itself smells delicious, and is a lovely shimmery pink colour. It was a little hard once set, but quickly warms up in your hand and spreads smoothly when applied with your finger. I enjoyed this set, and think it would be perfect as a gift for all ages as it is so easy to use. It is a good introduction to the world of making your own cosmetics, and I am keen to try again with proper ingredients to make my own from scratch!



Labels: ,