I've got a quick and easy (dairy free!) recipe for you today, starring my favourite baking ingredient: tea!
This recipe is to make one batch of lemon earl grey and one batch of chai at the same time.
You will need:-
3x good quality earl grey tea bags (teapigs are a particular favourite of mine!)
3x good quality chai tea bags (again, teapigs work so well!)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy butter
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup soy milk
3 cups flour
- First off, grab two saucepans and gently heat 1/2 cup soy milk in each on a (very) low heat. Pop the chai teabags in one, and the earl grey in the other. Leave to infuse for a good ten minutes.
- While the teabags are soaking, prepare the batter. Combine the egg, sugar, butter together until light and creamy. Then, split the mixture in half into two large bowls.
- In the first, add the zest of one lemon, and pour in your earl grey soy milk (without the teabags of course!) Then add the 1 1/2 cups plain flour and the baking powder and combine until your batter is of a doughy consistency. I then added a little bit of purple food colouring so I could tell the biscuits apart. This part is up to you!
- Repeat this in the other half of the mixture with the chai soy milk, adding a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Then, using 2 teaspoons, spoon your mixture onto a greased/lined baking tray in heaped teaspoon sized dollops.
- Bake at 180oc for 10-15 minutes until biscuits begin to turn golden brown.
- While they are cooling, lightly dust with icing sugar.
And there you go! Quick and simple, and delicious! These are not the most glamorous looking biscuits, but with these little gems, its all about the taste!
Serve with your favourite kind of tea in a floral teacup (because everything tastes better in a floral teacup)
I really enjoyed making this recipe, let me know if you give it a go!
Labels: dairy free, recipe, tea, teapigs