A little while ago I was contacted by the Bluebird Tea Company and asked if I would like to try out some of their teas when baking. As soon as I saw the Dark Chocolate Chilli Chai Tea, I knew that there just had to be a tea/brownie collaboration. I resisted the urge to brew up a huge pot for myself, and got to work baking and experimenting! Here we have the finished recipe, dairy free of course, and I'd love to know what you think!
Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Chilli Chai Brownies
You will need:
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 cups caster sugar
1 cup butter (I used Pure Soya substitute)
1x 100g bar dark chocolate (check for sneaky milk ingredients!)
1/2 cup almond milk
3 heaped teaspoons Bluebird Tea Co. Dark Chocolate Chilli Chai Tea
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 heaped tbsp cocoa powder (again, be careful, many have milk in!)
1) Preheat the oven to 160oC
2) Heat some water in a saucepan. Place a glass, heatproof bowl onto the saucepan, making sure the water does not reach the bowl. Add in the butter and break in the chocolate, and stir until melted into a smooth consistency.
3) While the chocolate is melting, gently heat the almond milk in a saucepan, and add in the tea. Leave to simmer for 5-6 mins, but do not boil. The milk should turn a golden colour.
4) In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cocoa powder.
5) When the chocolate/butter mixture has evenly melted, carefully stir into the rest of the mix, creating a smooth, chocolaty mixture.
6) Strain out the loose tea from the almond milk by pouring through a sieve into the rest of the mix.
7) Spoon the mixture into a greased/lined square tin.
8) Bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, until the top is crisp and a round knife inserted into the brownie comes out clean.
9) Leave to cool and cut into squares. Try not to eat them all at once!
Please let me know if you give these a go, I'd love to see how yours turn out!
Labels: baking, brownies, chai, chocolate, dairy free, recipe