Ladies and gentlemen: may I present to you my latest invention, the emergency cookie. So called due to their ability to rescue many dire situations, and the short space of time they can save you in! While late night essay writing recently I had a pretty intense craving for something sweet and tasty, and had no dairy free snacks laying around the house. I did however, have butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, two eggs, half a bag of marshmallow and some dark chocolate chips. And so, the emergency cookie was born. Here are some reasons why, if I may say so myself, they are just so wonderful:
- They take less than 10 minutes to make, and 10 minutes to bake. That means that right now, and at any time in the foreseeable future, you are only 20 minutes away from cookies. That's right.
- Don't be deceived than their less than poster-cookie appearance. What they lack in looks they make up for in soft tastiness.
- Having some important//gorgeous people round and forgot dessert? Easy as.
- I used marshmallows and chocolate. Why not try raisins. Or sprinkles. Or that slightly flat mars bar you had in your bag. You can use whatever you have laying around!
- As if you needed another reason. Cookies!
But anyway, the main reason we're here. How you can have these cookies too:
You will need:
- 3/4 cup butter/roughly half a tub of Pure sunflower or soya spread.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs (note - if you only have one, go for one + tablespoon of oil)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- teaspoon of vanilla (if you have it)
- filling of your choice, though it's perfectly good without. I went for marshmallows and chocolate!
Preheat the oven to 160oC
1) Cream together the butter and sugar, then the eggs and vanilla.
2) Add the flour and baking powder a bit at a time until all combined.
3) Stir in your filling.
4) Using two spoons to scoop and scrape, spoon a dessert spoon sized blob onto a greaseproof paper lined tray, leaving space between for them to expand. Or tinfoil if you're a disorganised student like me.
5) Bake for about 10 minutes until lightly golden brown.
And that really is it folks! It was a fairly experimental recipe so feel free to experiment, I'd love to see some pictures if you give it a go!
Labels: baking, dairy free, emergency cookies, recipe